Copyright Felipe Oliveira Counselling 2018
Copyright Felipe Oliveira Counselling 2018
Grief is the art to use suffering and failure to grow as a whole human being. The work of great sadness can guide a man through old stories; can teach one how to listen to them deeply with caring; can endure a great acceptance, and can lead one to a deeper understanding of the Self. The art of grief is deeply connected with storytelling, where a man may have the opportunity to use his own sorrow to write his own story with clarity. This is the path of true transformation: three steps forward, two back. The two back is considered the most important. The process of examination and letting go is always hard for the ego (Rohr, 2010).
1. In order to prepare the mind, body and spirit for the process, it is always indicated to prepare the space for sacredness. Use of candles, minimum artificial lights as possible, instrumental music on the background, but not loud. These create a special place for tears to flow and grow. A place in nature is more appropriate.
2. Identify the main reason or the most important reasons that you are grieving for;
3. Name the main feelings and emotions you are going through;
4. Express one’s gratitude, love, forgiveness, and goodbyes of such situation. One must “say the difficult and important things previously unsaid”. If it involves someone who is still alive “she may or may not visit with each person in the flesh, but she will certainly have many poignant and emotional encounters” (2003, p.106).
5. Important to write letters, poems, paintings, use of symbols (like toys or objects from nature: rocks, leaves, sticks) in order to externalise the feelings that are inside, on the heart;
6. Whatever one does during the grief ritual, one must know that “at the bottom of those grief waters lies a treasure, the source of a man’s greater life” (2003, p.106). The intention and the belief of a Greater Source of Life are of extreme importance of the whole process. Having that in mind is really important, hence the importance of an experienced professional supervising the steps to hold the grieving space.
7. The last and most important: meditation daily. It “develops the alertness of a centred mind, the ability to stay focused and calmly present… You might begin with twenty minutes, sitting with your spine erect and steadily attending to your breath, both the inspirations and expirations, perhaps counting then breaths and then repeating. When you notice your attention has drifted away, gently return to your breath” (2003, p.109).
Now, I invite you to listen to David Whyte reciting his poem Sweet Darkness.
Read Other Men's Blogs Here
6 min. video explaining the 2nd half of life of the Authentic Male Journey.
Click here to watch more.
A kind of wild and furious freedom that comes within the man as the passion for adventure. Read more here.
If one has the courage to face his apparent ‘sexual failure’ (PD or ED), one might have a mystical surprise... Read more here.
Male Intimacy Failure or New Possibilities?
The sessions are individuals, approximately 45 minutes, running in a peaceful, private and confidential manner.
The service is offered in Brisbane, on the suburb of Carindale/Mainsfield and Kedron .Booking Fee applies.
In this article, I will be exploring some ideas on how to grief as often a few clients ask me how. There are a few ideas on how to go through the process and to use as a transformational phase based on the writings of Bill Plotkin (2003).There are many reasons why someone goes to such process. The main reason Plotkin write about is for one to let go an old identity or persona, in order to find who one really is. No matter the reasons you are going through, I will be paraphrasing in a more generalist way.
Felipe Oliveira provides counselling for men facing challenges in life.
To read about The Benefit of an Addiction, click here.
The Work of Authentic Manhood
Plotkin, Bill (2003) Soulcraft – Crossing into the mysteries of nature and psyche. New World Library Publishers.
Rohr, R. (2010). On The Threshold of Transformation: Daily Meditations for Men. Loyola Press.
Felipe Oliveira provides grief counselling for men in Brisbane . Click here to know more about his work. Or, please, continue reading about grieving properly.
Blog for Men
Felipe Oliveira is a reputable and fully registered counsellor for men facing challenges in life. Holding a Masters in Counselling & Psychotherapy, his specialisation is in men’s mid-life crisis, male authenticity, sexuality and spirituality.